Wednesday, March 05, 2008

no offense

I don't have anything of importance to say lately, nothing worth writing, nothing uplifting or pensive. It's been pretty vacant...and no, that is not a reference to the Sex Pistols. Anyway, recently I've been dealing with my own inadequacies and short falls. Although, on the way home from the airport, it started raining, it reminded me of what I think pre-historic rain might be like. On the way home we heard Jack Johnson on the radio, and I very much dislike his music. I've heard he is a nice person, and that is awesome and what is most important, but his music gets on my last nerve. It's so neo-college rock in the worst way. It's the music you hear at a party that is put on by frat dudes at the beach house with Abercrobmie hats on, no shirt, and I'm sure you can guess the rest. It's OK that some songs can be used as montage for certain parts of movies or TV shows that exploit any genuine emotion with bad cliche' plots, but I feel like Jack Johnson writes songs that are intentionally written to be used as montages in feel good movies of the summer--- bad movies. There are these certain things bands can do to create a cheap groove...one of them is to play a song in halftime, and add 16th notes on the high hat....which is OK in my biased mind. It reminds me of Red Hot Chili Peppers circa "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", or Pantera. And then, there are also songs with a rhythm that is a cheap groove in the Jack Johnson way, or like Los Lonely Boys (How Far Is Heaven), or bad church worship bands...more driven by guitars. I don't mean to be negative, it just came to mind the other night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Look at all those fancy clothes,
But these could keep us warm just like those.
And what about your soul? Is it cold?
Is it straight from the mold, and ready to be sold?

And cars and phones and diamond rings,
Bling, bling, because those are only removable things.
And what about your mind? Does it shine?
Are there things that concern you, more than your time?

Gone, going.
Gone, everything.
Gone, don’t give a damn.
Gone, be the birds, when they don’t wanna sing.
Gone, people, all awkward with their things,
Gone.

Look at you, out to make a deal.
You try to be appealing, but you lose your appeal.
And what about those shoes you’re in today?
They’ll do no good, on the bridges you burnt along the way.

And you're willing to sell, anything?
Gone, with your head.
Leave your footprints,
And we’ll shame them with our words.
Gone, people, all careless and consumed, gone"

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At every UCF party I have been to, wel, the ones with boys who are really into the whole 'UCF' thing (football, basketball, etc), there has been Jack Johnson playing amidst their playlist dedicated to radio rock, and the other identifiable hits.

6:24 PM

 
Blogger Melanie said...

I've heard of Jack Johnson. I have no clue what his music sounds like. Quite obviously you are not a fan. LOL

1:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home