Sunday, May 20, 2007

hey everyone.

It's been a while since I posted anything worth reading. So I'll try to catch up. We just got home yesterday, and when I walked through the door I saw the new amp I just bought. A 1977 Marshall JMP 50, so on the next few tours expect to see that. I figure I'll still use one of my Oranges as my number two amp. I got kind of bored with the Oranges and I wanted something bigger, something with more of a traditional Rock sound. The last few days of tour went by in some kind of blur. I was seeing a lot of my friends and didn't spend much time with the band, it was odd. I'd see them right before show time and would feel the need to catch up. In Tallahassee, a friend and I went to Wakulla Springs and swam all day. I hate cold water, but she dragged me in and once my breath came back to me and my body went numb, it was fine. It seems that whenever I'm outside, bees and wasps and horsefly's always find me and fly around my head. I am still deathly afraid of stinging insects, I don't even know if I'm allergic to them, and I don't even think I ever had a really horrible experience with them. No worse than any other kids growing up. One time, when I was young, my family was camping at this campsite in North Carolina called Deep Creek. We went there every year, I loved it. We had one of those pop-up campers, and we always got the same camp spot every year. One year, I was riding my bike and this bee gave chase, I swear it was right on my back tire the whole time, I could hear it. I pedaled as fast as my growing legs would allow and I rode right into a circle of women (one of which was my mother) sitting around in lawn chairs. I jumped off my bike while it was still moving and ran into the camper and locked the door. My mom came in and she asked me what was wrong, in a frantic and justifiably surprised manner. I answered, short with breath and high on adrenaline...."a bee was chasing me." So anyway back to the was fun. I met my friend's sister and it's funny how opposite they are, and they are so close in age. One is enjoying college life for all it has to offer, in a more typical fashion, while the other spends most of her time in a hot art studio, making books and cutting paper, and she recommends great books for me to read. I love that they get along. I also picked up the new Wilco that day, and I also bought the new Great Lake Swimmers. My friend bought the new Electrelane and played her favorite song over and over and sang out a tad out of key with a big smile on her face, it's summer time in Tallahassee. I also got to see my brother last week and we tried to find a bar and watch the Red Sox game, but it was rained out. So we just drank 2 beers and talked about guns and Seinfeld and then I had to go play a show. Anyway, the week was good, and now I'm back home. I'm going to start reading "100 Years of Solitude" soon, and continue to do nothing with my time. To hell with spelling.


Blogger Melanie said...

I imagine it is like living in another world sometimes traveling from place to place and playing every night. So, I imagine it feels odd to leave that world and just go out and do something totally unrelated until showtime with people not in the band. If it were me (and maybe that's one reason it wouldn't be, other than talent LOL), it would take a few for me to adjust from one environment to the other. That being said, it sounds like you had some good and memorable times, and those are priceless.


1:20 PM

Blogger Surreal Bassit said...

I don't know. My band practices about three or four nights a week and then we break on the weekends and the weekends are usually the worse for me. The guys and the band are my two best friends ever and I go to stir crazy not being able to hang out with them for a mere forty-eight hours. But, then again, just doing something other than playing music every now and then is good. Maybe I'm mising the point.

7:00 PM

Anonymous Zach (maeteam - fenderply13) said...

Hahaha, when I was a young lad, I used to swing from a tree in my grandpa's backyard. Well one day I was swinging, and a bee stung me. My grandmother cared for the wound, and I went back outside to enjoy some swinging. Mere moments later, I was stung two more times. Turns out the tree I was swinging from had some pissed off stinging inhabitants. To this day, I freak out whenever I see any insect with a stinger.

I'm curious to hear how the Les Paul --> Marshall combo's gonna sound, cause them Orange's sounded good. See ya on 6/23.

8:37 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

out of key, sure!

10:23 PM

Blogger Joel said...

ha! A pop-up-camper. Oh yes, I remember those days. My dad loved that thing. I opted for sleeping in a tent along side it instead.

Thanks for the nostalgia moment.

5:55 AM

Blogger Cathryn said...

Sounds like you're living summer just the way it should be lived. :) Makes me want to go camping this weekend...yep, that's it. I just decided I'm going up the canyon Friday night. Thanks for the reminder to get outside.

8:28 PM

Blogger lkerbo said...

Can I share my stories? They're about wasps...not bees. But they still count.

I was at my Nanny's when I was about four, swinging in one of those huge covered wooden sets that has a swing on each side (like a front porch swing..not a swingset swing). It was really more of a gliding contraption, not so much a swing. Nonetheless, I hid in it EVERYTIME we played hide-and-seek. Every turn, every time, without worry of game strategies and whatnot. A nest of wasps had pretty much appeared over night, and one found me before my brother.

I believe I was in the 7th grade when this happened. The house I lived in at the time had a ton of windows, and we would open them all when we had nice weather (though I'm pretty sure we had screens, so the wasp must've come in through the front door...I promise he wasn't invited). I remembered I saw the wasp in the living room in the early afternoon and attempted to make him leave. He disappeared from sight and mind. Around 4AM the next morning I woke up, startled, from my sleep and threw myself onto the floor. My leg was throbbing, and as I looked up onto my bed, right at eye-level was that wasp. Apparently I kicked him while I was asleep, and he stung me. I spent the rest of the night on the floor in my bathroom.

I sure know how to waste space. Sorry...

12:22 PM


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home